There was no idle chit chat in the parking lot prior to loading. Bus loading was at 6:30 am and it was very cold. However we were off by 7:00 am. The first comfort/coffee stop was at Cochrane followed by stops at Revelstoke and Vernon where the temperature had moderated significantly. Thank Heavens!
The welcoming party with wine and hors d’oeuvre was held at the Den. The Den provided ample supply off wine and a variety of snack items.
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday provided the group a couple of fairly cold days with temperatures ranging from -18 ºC in the morning to -8 ºC by afternoon. In addition, a variety of skiing challenges was presented to the group to battle heavy fog, light snow and flat light that gave everyone a chance to work on their quick reaction skiing skills in order to miss obstacles and keep track of their skiing partners. This was part of our plan.
The group dinner was held at the Den as well. From the feedback everyone was very pleased with their dinner selection although the service was quite slow as the Den was very busy with other customers.
On Wednesday evening the Weatherman brought us a good dump of snow for a great day of powder skiing for Thursday. Also part of the plan!!
Friday loading, for the return home, was at 6:30 am, and in keeping with tradition, everyone was loaded by 6:40 am so we got off to an early start only to be turned back at Revelstoke because of avalanche dangers. We were told that the tentative reopening of the highway was scheduled for about 4:00 pm. Sooo…, we decided to return via Salmon Arm, Kamloops and Jasper which extended our travel time to 15 hours-a long day for us arriving Edmonton at 11:30 pm. We returned to a very cold night and two vehicles would not start. Rides were provided for by club members.
It was a very memorable trip. Two members suffered injuries so hopefully their recovery is swift. Thanks to the many helpers in loading and offloading of the bus at both ends of the trip.
Arnie & Gladys Wilson
- Sunshine Tour Report, Apr 6 – 9, 2014
- Rocky Mountain Seniors Ski Club Annual General Meeting 2014
- Marmot in March, Mar 16 – 20, 2014 Tour Report
- Rocky Mountain Seniors Ski Club Spring Dinner
- Whitefish Mountain Resort Tour Report, March 2 – 7
- Lake Louise Tour Feb 9 -13
- Marmot Ski Improvement – Fun Costume Race January 26-30, 2014
- New Member’s Day – Feb. 11, 2014
- Welcome to Winter and New Members’ Day, Nov 26, 2013
- Rocky Mountain Seniors Ski Club Fall Dinner
- 2013-14 Snow Valley On-Hill Training Programs (updated)
- RMSSC Registration for the 2013 – 2014 Membership Year on Wednesday, October 23 from 3 – 7 PM at Snow Valley
- 2013-14 Snow Valley On-Hill Training Programs
- All Rocky Mountain Senior Golfers And Friends Annual Golf Tournament
- We’re Firing up the BBQ